Saturday, May 28, 2011

You're All My Favorites

It’s a running joke in our family that my sisters love to ask my mom who is her favorite daughter (or, they skip asking Mom and outright declare to the family that “I’m Mom’s favorite”). My mom’s answers to the question "I'm your favorite, right?" are always wonderfully playful like, “You’re my favorite (and also only) 18-year-old daughter” or “You’re my favorite (and also only) daughter currently living in Wisconsin” or “You’re my favorite (and also only) left-handed daughter.” The joke is fun because we know that, of course, we’re all her favorites.

Somehow - although they don't know that it's a running joke in my family too - it has also turned into a running joke with my students, especially my middle school and high school students, who are always saying, “But we’re your favorite class, right? You love us the most, right?” to which I always reply with a twinkle in my eye, “But of course!” I was truly touched when a grandmother of one of my students said her grandson told her that, “We love Sarah and we know she loves each one of us.”

My wonderful students, you are all my favorites and I love you all. Thanks for two amazing years.



A few of my favorite yes!-let's-have-a-barbecue-for-our-last-lesson-but-promise-Miss Sarah-you'll-remember-that-despite-popular-belief-Americans-do-not-eat-hamburgers-5-times-a-week 8th and 11th grade students.

My favorite one-day-she-will-save-the-world-with-her-amazing-mad-math-skills 5th grade student.

My favorite we-didn't-realize-until-we-took-this-photograph-that-we-are-all-the-same-height class of 8th grade girls.

Two of my favorite we-wear-awesome-sunglasses-all-the-time-even-when-it's-cloudy 8th grade boys.

A few of my favorite let's-just-say-we're-older-than-18 students.

My favorite if-you-eat-all-of-the-raw-cupcake-batter-we-won't-have-anything-to-bake! 8th grade girls.

My favorite we-signed-our-names-on-this-shirt-so-you'll-always-remember-us class of 8th grade girls.

My favorite what-do-you-mean-that-isn't-a-base-oh-she's-just-an-outfielder-not-the-2nd baseman-so-I-am-not-standing-on-a-base-right-now-whoops class of 8th grade girls.

One of my favorite I-have-never-eaten-a-cupcake-before-so-how-was-I-supposed-to-know-you don't-eat-the-paper-wrapping (thereby proving that teenage boys will eat anything) 8th grade boys.

Two of my favorite they-give-the-best-hugs-at-the-beginning-and-end-of-every-lesson 3 year olds.

My favorite we're-way-too-cool-for-these-photographs 9th graders.

Two of my favorite we're-addicted-to-America's-Next-Top-Model-what-do-you-mean-you-don't-watch-it-aren't-you-American 8th graders.

My favorite we're-eating-tacos-for-the-first-time! 8th grade girls.
My favorite high school seniors who performed magnificently on their end of the year English speaking exam (not that I was surprised) and who were amazing people to talk with and get to know. I can't wait to hear about all their future adventures!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah! First, those hamburgers look AWESOME! :)

    It's great to be able to touch young peoples' lives--what an amazing experience for all of you. And, isn't it comforting to know you can keep in touch with a simple click of the computer.

    XXOO

    ReplyDelete