Monday, May 24, 2010

Year Two Wish List

Five weeks from today the school year in Poland concludes, and I’ll fly to Chicago for a month of summer vacation before my second year of teaching in Cieszyn! On July 25, I’m talking at St. Luke’s (in Park Ridge) at 11:15 a.m. about my experiences. Please attend if you’d like to hear about this year (and my plans for next year!). People have been amazingly supportive of my work here, and I’d love talk to everyone and thank you in person!

It’s wonderful to have the opportunity to return to Cieszyn for a second year of teaching. Your first year of teaching is a lot of “trial and error” and a lot of learning – learning about the school culture, the students’ language level, and how to best get students excited about learning English. The second year is a fantastic opportunity to apply all your knowledge and insights and better address the students’ English language learning needs. I’m thrilled to teach here again!

My school provides a living allowance for food and necessities, but cannot afford to pay other expenses, including my international airplane ticket. I was overwhelmed by the financial support I received during my first year of service, and I’d like to ask you to think about supporting my second year if you’re in a position to do so.

This spring, ELCA Global Mission committed to a long-term partnership with Cieszyn’s Lutheran schools. The Lutheran schools in Cieszyn have limited resources for their students and teachers. Providing the schools with a few supplies would support years of future collaboration between ELCA volunteer teachers and our Lutheran sisters and brothers in Poland.

For year two, I’m fundraising for airfare and an intensive summer language course and also for funds to support English extracurricular school activities and the purchase of a few school supplies.

*Here’s a wish list for year two:

Classroom set of English-Polish dictionaries and a reference thesaurus: 6 dictionaries ($25 per dictionary, one dictionary for every 2-3 students in a class) and a reference thesaurus ($50).

School supplies: $15 a month. Students do not have an English textbook. $15 a month covers photocopying expenses and supplies for special class projects like markers and poster board.

Digital projector: $500. The classrooms do not have computers, televisions, or projectors. A projector would allow teachers to incorporate visuals (including film clips, maps, and photographs) into their lessons to help the students learn new vocabulary.

Weekly “English breakfast”: $20 a month. Students are always asking for extra opportunities to practice their English. Students meet in the morning for 45 minutes for conversation and a snack.

Weekly after-school activities: $20 a month. Activities include cookie decorating and baseball games, and, of course, opportunities to practice their English. $20 a month covers minimal supplies and a snack for the students.

Virtual sheet music subscription: $50. There is no band/orchestra program in the school. Instrumentalists are invited to attend after-school “jam sessions” so they can experience playing with other students in an ensemble. An online music subscription provides the sheet music.

Intensive 28-day Polish language course in August: $42 a day, $300 per week. I’d like to enroll in an intensive Polish language course before resuming my teaching duties in the fall. Language instruction would let me better serve students with no prior English instruction, including elementary school students and older adults in my church congregation.

Roundtrip airfare from Chicago to Warsaw: $1,500.

*How to donate:

St. Luke’s Lutheran Church in Park Ridge, IL (my home congregation) is collecting donations. Checks are payable to “St. Luke’s Lutheran Church” and should be designated “Sarah - Poland.” You will receive a charitable donation tax receipt.

Here is the church’s address:

St. Luke’s Lutheran Church

205 N. Prospect Ave.

Park Ridge, IL 60068

USA

If you have any questions, please e-mail me at sarahpolandsarah@gmail.com.

Thanks for your support!

1 comment:

  1. How exciting that you're going back for a second year, Sarah! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete